One challenge that faces all growing businesses is when is the best time to add more staff to your team? Who do you need first and who can you wait for? How will you find the right person and can you afford to hire them or afford not to hire them?
This dilemma is particularly stressful for micro businesses that are in the first or second stage of growth. The reality for most companies is that recruitment is really tricky to get right. So why recruit?
Imagine that you were making a film. You might have a few permanent employees but the majority of your team will be hired on a contact. That’s the experts; the cameramen, actors, make-up artists, cooks, runners, editors etc. You might end up with over 100 staff whilst making the film but when it’s all finished 95% of them will walk away and onto another project as well as becoming part of another team to deliver something exceptional.
So rather than recruit permanent staff, consider how you can build a flexible team – buying the resources you need when you need them.
1. Build a team that you need for now not for ever.
2. Don’t assume that you have to hire a permanent employee, consider
3. Think about who you need now – the person you need to set up a project may not be the same as the person who will run the ‘business as usual’ aspect.
4. Consider what you can outsource to free up the resources that you already have.
Flexibility will be the name of the game for future team building. But whatever happens, recruitment whether it is permanent or on a contractual basis (including outsourcing), needs your full attention to make sure you give yourself the best chance of getting the right person first time.
1. Follow me on Twitter / LinkedIn and let me know the business challenges keeping you awake at night that you want to solve. Click here to email. Connect with me, The Business Planning Coach on Facebook and Instagram.
I host the Small Business Clinic on Clubhouse every Tuesday & Thursday at 8am. Drop in and ask me & my panel of experts a question.
2. Grab a copy of my book The Grown-Up Business (paperback and Kindle). Get the tools and inspiration you need to go to the next level of wealth.
3. Work with me on your growth business to overcome the blockages, hurdles & problems that are holding you back. Join the community, email me with Let’s Get Started in the subject line or book a 30 Discovery Meeting using Calendly